Glutathione functions extensively in tissues and organs throughout the body. It plays critical roles in protecting the body from oxidative stress, maintaining cellular functions, and supporting healthy immune function.[1,4] Many factors can increase cellular exposure to oxidative insult, and therefore increase cellular consumption of nutrients - such as glutathione - that provide antioxidant activity. This may result in a fierce cycle of oxidative stress and challenges to detoxification. Complete biotransformation and protection from oxidative stress are important to maintaining cellular integrity and tissue health.*[2,5]Other Benefits of Maintaining Healthy Glutathione Levels
Much information related to mitochondrial health has surfaced in scientific literature. Mitochondria, the energy-producing powerhouses of cells, are also the primary intracellular site of oxygen consumption and the major source of reactive oxygen species (ROS). S-acetylglutathione has been shown to cross the membrane of the mitochondria, increasing the organelle's activity and minimizing ROS.[8,9] Reduction of ROS is associated with maintaining mitochondrial integrity and function, and improved mitochondrial health is believed to support overall health and energy.
Use of stomach acid-resistant capsules (DRcaps) further protect stability. Laboratory data showed that S-acetyl glutathione increased intracellular glutathione and had a positive effect on many oxidative stress biomarkers.*
1. Locigno R, Pincemail J, Henno A, et al. S-Acetyl-glutathione selectively induces apoptosis in human lymphoma cells through a GSH-independent mechanism. Int J Oncol. 2002 Jan;20(1):69-75. [PMID: 11743644]
2. Lomaestro BM, Malone M. Glutathione in health and disease: pharmacotherapeutic issues. Ann Pharmacother.
1995 Dec;29(12):1263-73. [PMID: 8672832]
4. Vogel J, Cinatl J, Dauletbaev N, et al. Effects of S-acetylglutathione in cell and animal model of herpes simplex virus type 1 infection. Med Microbiol Immunol. 2005 Jan;194(1-2):55-59. [PMID: 1462435]
5. Ballatori N, Krance SM, Notenboom S, et al. Glutathione dysregulation and the etiology and progression of human diseases. Biol Chem. 2009 Mar;390(3):191-214. [PMID: 19166318]
8. Anderson ME, Nilsson M, Sims NR. Glutathione monoethyl ester prevents mitochondrial glutathione depletion during focal cerebral ischemia. Neurochem Int. 2004 Feb;44(3):153-59. [PMID: 14568558]
9. Kretzschmar M. Regulation of hepatic glutathione metabolism and its role in hepatotoxicity. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 1996 Jul;48(5):439-46. [PMID: 8765689]
Take one to two capsules, one to two times daily on an empty stomach or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Keep closed in a cool, dry place out of reach of children.
Consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use. Individuals taking medication should discuss potential interactions with their healthcare practitioner. Do not use if tamper seal is damaged.
HPMC (acid-resistant vegetarian capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, and silica.