Life Extension researchers have developed a three-ingredient formula designed to combat immune senescence. Immune Senescence Protection Formula™ is composed of standardized Cistanche, reishi, and pu-erh tea extracts - three botanical ingredients that work to rejuvenate an aging immune system through innovative mechanisms.
Benefits at a Glance:
- Helps rejuvenate an aging immune system
- Supports immune system response to new invaders
- Helps maintain a healthy naive-to-memory immune-cell ratio
More facts about Immune Senescence Protection Formula™
As we age, our immune system begins to decline, a process known as immune senescence.1 A vital immune system is made up of a healthy balance of naive T-cells that attack new invaders and memory T-cells that attack previously known invaders.
However, after a naive T-cell attacks a new threat, it becomes a memory T-cell, which will only go after a threat that it remembers.2,3 The result is that the delicate immune balance tips, so we have a surplus of memory T-cells and a deficit of naïve T-cells. Therefore our body is less able to defend itself against new invasions. This produces a less-vigilant immune system - or immune senescence.4,5
Cistanche rejuvenates an aging immune system
The echinacoside compound found in Cistanche plant extract stimulates the development of naive T-cells and leads to a lower number of memory T-cells, thereby creating a healthy immune response. Cistanche also increases natural killer (NK) cell activity - resulting in a 15% life span increase in those cells in pre-clinical research.6
A 12-week human study of standardized Cistanche yielded positive results in regard to immune profile: subjects had an 11.7% increase in NK cell activity and a 20.2% improvement in the ratio of CD4 to CD8 cells. An increased CD4-to-CD8 ratio is indicative of healthy, youthful immune function.7
Reishi mushroom combats immune senescence
The numerous bioactive components of the reishi mushroom exert powerful effects that may reverse many of the factors of immune senescence.8 Primarily, reishi extracts boost the function of innate immune cells, the immune system’s first line of defense.8-10
It has long been known that reishi’s unique polysaccharides, triterpenes, and other constituents11,12 enhance the body’s hematopoietic stem cells, T-cells, and other crucial immune factors.13-16 Animal research shows reishi supports multiple aspects of immune function and longevity.17-18
Pu-erh tea extract supports immune balance
Pu-erh tea is rich in polyphenols and other bioactive molecules. Pu-erh tea extract may support healthy bone marrow function, which helps to rebuild the peripheral immune cellular components.18
A pre-clinical study demonstrated that pu-erh tea extract supports a healthy immune response by decreasing interleukin-6 (IL-6) by a remarkable 43%, as well as increasing NK cells by 7% and naïve T-cells by 10%.20
This one potent, triple-action formulation delivers Cistanche, Reishi and Pu-erh Tea.References:
- J Pathol 2007 Jan; 211(2): 144-156.
- Immun Ageing. 2012 Jul 25;9(1):15.
- Available at: http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/biology-aging/immune-system-can-your-immune-system-still-defend-you-you-age Accessed September 1, 2016.
- Immunity. 2008 Dec 19;29(6):848-62.
- Curr Pharm Des. 2013;19(9):1680-98.
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014:601383.
- Anti-Aging Medicine. 2011;8(2):7-14.
- Am J Chin Med. 2011;39(1):15-27.
- Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/immune_disorders/ biology_of_the_immune_system/overview_of_the_immune_system.html. Accessed September 1, 2016.
- Immunol Lett. 2002;83(3):163-9.
- American-Eurasian Journal of Botany 2008;1 (3): 107-11.
- Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd edition. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press/Taylor & Francis; 2011. Chapter 9.
- Phytother. Res. 2015 Nov 29 (11): 1744-1752.
- Bioorg Med Chem. 2010 Dec15;18(24):8583-91.
- Front Pharmacol. 2012;3:135.
- Int J Med Mushrooms. 2011;13(5):441-8.
- FASEB J. 2011;25:601.2.
- Innate Immun. 2014 Apr;20(3):301-11.
- Food Research International. 2013;53(2):619-28.
- Food Chem. 2012 Dec 15;135(4):2222-8.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.